Re: lilo dilemma

Subject: Re: lilo dilemma
From: Chris Hamilton (chris@digitalalaska.com)
Date: Mon May 13 2002 - 20:11:28 AKDT

Thanks for the ideas. I think I fixed the problem though - I guess we'll
see for sure at the next meeting when Mike tries to install IMP ;)

I swapped out what I thought was bad memory. After doing that I got
horrible performance - took 4 hours for a very basic install with just a few
packages. So just out of curiosity I pulled out the cpu, smeared some more
white grease on it, and slapped it back in. Bingo, my computer was happy
again.

But when I did the 2nd install I think I figured out what my original lilo
problem was (I'm still a little fuzzy about the whole lilo and bootup
configuration stuff). Rather than select to have the system boot from the
MBR I selected to have it boot from a (jeez, I forget now), I think it was
"Linux partition hda1". Does that sound right? After selecting to boot
from that I have been booting happily without a floppy.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone.

Chris.