Re: A Mission For Luau

Subject: Re: A Mission For Luau
From: Greg Jetter (greg@lazymountain.com)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 19:44:54 AKDT

On Thursday 09 May 2002 04:21 am, you wrote:
> Maybe you guys can't take a hint. Outside of using Linux for servers and
> hobbyist it is considered crap.

Since you chose to comment on my post , I'll return the favor...

 It will not be seriously considered until
> you can go to a department store and choose between a Windows, Mac, or
> Linux system for your home.

It won't be considered because the school district has too much money tied
up in the status quo. If they were to start using a free O/s , maybe the
tax payer might start asking questions , like why it take you so long and
where is all my money really going to ?

Then after a few years of it being used in
> homes and businesses on a larger scale than the existing servers and
> hobbyist it may work its way into the school system.

gee I guess , wall street , and the rest of the fortune 500 must be just
crazy to be switching over to linux servers ? and gee most of Asia must be
crazy to because there switching to linux. on the desktop .Must be some kind
of germ warfare...

> What is your goal anyway? To sell more Linux (free ha,ha) and contribute
> towards RH and Debian horse farms VS B Gates horse farm?

The goal is to reduce cost wile preparing the student for the future.

> Take your crusade to the computer manufacturers and retail outlets. Buy
> stock in a Linux distributor. Sue Microsoft as a persecuted minority.
> Putting Linux in schools isn't going to benefit anybody except the people
> who sell Linux software. Math, English, and American History are in schools
> and the students don't necessarily retain those skills.

you make a good point for closing down the schools , why not ,those who
graduate don't retain anything so why waist taxpayer money employing
teachers , heating buildings and running bus. as for benefiting people who
sell Linux , kind of hard to sell something thats free...

> If people are trying your product and dumping it, then maybe there is a
> message.

Those who try it are not dumping it , those who pay lip service to trying
the software in order to turn down the heat to change are the ones who
wind up dumping it. if they even do....

I Have given up on evangelizing to the ignorant , all anyone need do is
read the Trades to see that Linux is here to stay and MS is going the way
of the dino , I got my Linux job , I make good money , My kids are grown and
out on their own so I really don't care how many ignorant kids the school
system puts out.

You can flame bait on the list all ya want , just makes me smile knowing
theirs one less Linux trained person . That only makes my skills more in
demand and I can charge more.