RE: a few dumb questions

Subject: RE: a few dumb questions
From: stephen king (sking@chartercollege.edu)
Date: Sat May 04 2002 - 11:47:01 AKDT

</sidelines>
Don't forget that the "they" who you're claiming certain properties to be
true of are in reality a group of IT professionals, a few of whom I happen
to know and work with. I'll not argue against the fact that the ASD is full
of bureacracy and could certainly streamline their operations, but I also
know that were I in charge of that large network, and if I had a written
plan on what my network was and what it would be in the future (as they do)
then I, too, would rather resent somebody else coming in and telling me that
I should do it better by changing my plan around.

There are quite a few people here who believe Linux is a great solution for
the IT field...of course, or you wouldn't be in the LUG...and I'd personally
have to agree with that statement myself. Is it the solution for
everything? <flamebait>IMHO, I don't think so.</flamebait> Regardless,
that's a great argument to have in our own little spot in the IT world, but
so long as the IT folks at the ASD continue doing their job of providing
computer services to the students and faculty, whether they're doing it with
our fave system or theirs really isn't any of our business.

Stephen

<snip>
third. this thread about getting linux into the
schools. i missed a lot of the tread so sorry if im
off on a tangent. seems to me we will not get the
school officials to listen or cooperate untill we get
used to the idea that we need to hit them as others
who are more sucessful do it, hit them where it hurts.
lawsuit. seems to me that anybody that has had any
sucess in the past with the alaska school systems has
at least threatened a lawsuit first, before they had
sucess with them. just an idea. i hate the idea of
using microsofts methods but it may be the only way to
get their attention. they are afraid. too afraid to
let someting new in for fear of trouble. afraid
something or some one is going to rock the boat. if we
let them know they are going to have trouble either
way, maybe they would take a fresh look?
</snip>