a few dumb questions

Subject: a few dumb questions
From: KURT BRENDGARD (brendgard@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat May 04 2002 - 10:53:37 AKDT

got a few dumb questions hopefully somebody can help
with.

first. any body know of a good anti virus software for
linux? yes i know, linux doesnt have the threat from
viri that windoz does, but...... we trashed a windoz
box here by pulling out a hard drive for a customer
and puting it into this box to scan for viri and
hopefuly retreive some data before we wiped it clean
to reload for her. this usualy goes ok but this time
it didnt. think the virus was too new to be seen yet
or something. i was hoping to put together a linux box
to do our scanning on. i also was thinking perhaps a
mac box if i could set it up right but right now im
open to sugestions.

second. anybody know of a decent gigabit ethernet card
that will work under linux? constraints are it must
work in an older box. 32 bit 33 mhz pci, no 64 no 66.
preference would also lean towards one that could be
set up as a generic n2000 pci clone but i wont get
greedy lol. it does need to be fairly easy to set up
tho, im not the sharpest knife in the drawer. im
hopeing to talk my boss into leting me upgrade our
fileserver here.

third. this thread about getting linux into the
schools. i missed a lot of the tread so sorry if im
off on a tangent. seems to me we will not get the
school officials to listen or cooperate untill we get
used to the idea that we need to hit them as others
who are more sucessful do it, hit them where it hurts.
lawsuit. seems to me that anybody that has had any
sucess in the past with the alaska school systems has
at least threatened a lawsuit first, before they had
sucess with them. just an idea. i hate the idea of
using microsofts methods but it may be the only way to
get their attention. they are afraid. too afraid to
let someting new in for fear of trouble. afraid
something or some one is going to rock the boat. if we
let them know they are going to have trouble either
way, maybe they would take a fresh look?

forth. (off topic so forgive me please) anbody out
there got an apartment for rent? i need one fast.
preferably a nice quiet one where i wont have the kids
next door blasting the acid rock at 3am

okokok you can wake back up now. thanks