Re: reviving old computers

Subject: Re: reviving old computers
From: James McMorris (buddha@gci.net)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 21:04:38 AKDT

What a bunch of bunk. I skimmed the article and read this Microsoft
page referenced in the article.
http://www.microsoft.com/education/?id=DonatedComputers

The following word jumped out at me: "Recommended"

According to the MS page, "It is a legal requirement that pre-installed
operating systems remain with a machine for the life of the machine."

Yet further down the page it says this: "Microsoft RECOMMENDS that
educational institutions only accept computer donations that are
accompanied by proper operating system documentation. If the donor
cannot provide this documentation, it is RECOMMENDED that you decline
the donated PC(s)."

Recommend doesn't sound mandatory to me.

Being in the Air Force, and having to follow technical orders and
flight manuals, the word "recommend" jumps out to me a non-compulsory.
(We'd LIKE you to.) We use the words "shall" or "will" on mandatory
items and the words "may" or "should" when it's recommended, but not
mandatory.

If the statement had read: "Microsoft REMINDS educational institutions
THAT THEY SHALL only accept computer donations that are accompanied by
proper operating system documentation. If the donor cannot provide this
documentation, THEY MUST LEGALLY decline the donated PC(s)."

I hate reading legal documentation.