Re: reviving old computers

Subject: Re: reviving old computers
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 20:47:21 AKDT

There was a rather lengthy discussion about this on Slashdot about 2
weeks back..

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/04/18/1623240&mode=thread

This quote pretty much sums up how most people interpret the lisence:

"the difference is that if you strip a computer of its preinstalled
M$OS, and instead install FreeBSD, then microsoft HAVE some ability to
restrict you (the giver) from installing this spare OS on another
computer, but they have absolutely NO ability to restrict the recipient
from accepting the cleansed computer.

The licence doesn't have to stay with the computer, but it can't be used
with any other computers. BIG difference."

Justin