Re: adding users in RaQ

Subject: Re: adding users in RaQ
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 16:37:22 AKDT

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 12:00:42 -0700
Jim Dory <jdory@gci.net> wrote:

> I've found an adduser, useradd and groupadd in usr/sbin.

These commands are for UNIX users and groups. Samba users and groups
are on a different planet.

> But
> trying to use them produces no results. I can add users and groups
> by editing the respective files Bryan mentioned, but not knowing
> a whole lot of what I"m doing -

Right! A practice to be avoided. Each system seems to have its own
peculiarities, so I use the command line utilities instead of diving
into the files to muck around with vi or whatever your favorite
text/programmer's editor might be.

> and trying to follow this Samba
> cookbook approach, I find it difficult to add users and passwords.

Samba has its own set of utilities. The samba utility, "smbpasswd"
acts like the regular, cli, Unix utility "passwd" for samba users.
That is, there is a file in /etc/samba called "smbpasswd". For
samba, this is just like (not identical to) the regular, Unix style,
/etc/passwd file. If you call "smbpasswd" without any parameter, ie.
samba user, you will be able to change the samba password for root.
If you call it with a samba userid, eg. "smbpasswd imauser" you will
be able to change the samba password for "imauser" regarding use of
samba shares.

There is a lot of information in /usr/share/doc/samba/ which you are
well advised to peruse.

Cheerio! fgd

snip