Re: pine in debian

Subject: Re: pine in debian
From: James F. Zuelow Jr. (jamesz@ideafamilies.org)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 10:47:21 AKDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Swingley" <cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu>
To: <aklug@aklug.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 10:37 AM

> * James F. Zuelow Jr. <jamesz@ideafamilies.org> [2002-Apr-11 10:23
AKDT]:
> > What is going wrong with the Pine .deb packages? I have a couple of
> > Woody machines at home with Pine & no problems at all after an
apt-get
> > install pine.
>
> I don't think pine exists in potato, woody, or sid as a binary
package.
> I'm not sure how you were able to get 'apt-get install pine' to work!
>
> The reasoning behind pine being absent from Debian is that license for
> pine (from The Unviersity of Washington) doesn't allow the
distribution
> of modified binaries. So if Debian wants to fix a security problem or
> tweak the configuration to add features, they can no longer distribute
> a binary package for this ``non-blessed'' version. This means it
> doesn't meet Debian's fairly strict interpretation of what free
software
> really is.
>
> Chris

I was just reading that on the FAQ page. I'm not sure either - I have
two Woody i386 boxes and one PowerPC box and all three have Pine
installed. However I certainly don't remember building it from source
or getting 3rd party binaries. I will have to check my sources.list
when I get home.

Maybe my network is 0wn3d by someone who likes pine & did it for me. :)

Cheers,

James