Re: pine in debian

Subject: Re: pine in debian
From: Christopher Swingley (cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 10:37:20 AKDT

* James F. Zuelow Jr. <jamesz@ideafamilies.org> [2002-Apr-11 10:23 AKDT]:
> What is going wrong with the Pine .deb packages? I have a couple of
> Woody machines at home with Pine & no problems at all after an apt-get
> install pine.

I don't think pine exists in potato, woody, or sid as a binary package.
I'm not sure how you were able to get 'apt-get install pine' to work!

The reasoning behind pine being absent from Debian is that license for
pine (from The Unviersity of Washington) doesn't allow the distribution
of modified binaries. So if Debian wants to fix a security problem or
tweak the configuration to add features, they can no longer distribute
a binary package for this ``non-blessed'' version. This means it
doesn't meet Debian's fairly strict interpretation of what free software
really is.

Chris

--
Christopher S. Swingley           phone: 907-474-2689
Computer Systems Manager          email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu