Re: and so it begins: debian question

Subject: Re: and so it begins: debian question
From: Christopher Swingley (cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 07:57:52 AKST

* FeLoNiouS MoNK <codered@gci.net> [2002-Apr-03 14:26 AKST]:
> ok everyone.. thanx for the input .. heres my problem .. in RH you
> have a command called netconf from command line that will bring up a
> inet setup screen .. but in this distro i cant figure out what that
> command is .. when i do ifconfig i am just gettin my loop info but no
> eth0 .. so apparently sumthin is not set up right .. im tryin to work
> this out from the command line considering i havnt gotten X up and
> runnin yet.. can anyone help ..

In my experience with Debian, the usual reason why the installer
doesn't set up networking is that the kernel module for your network
card wasn't loaded so the installer doesn't think you have an eth0.
The most likely cause for this is that the potato installer uses a
2.2 kernel, and some of the newer network cards aren't in 2.2 (SiS900,
RT8139too, etc.). As someone else mentioned, it would be helpful to
know what installer you are using.

But even if you're using a 2.2 kernel that doesn't have a driver for
your network card, if you can get 2.4 sources onto the machine, you
can rebuild the kernel, add the necessary network drivers (/sbin/lspci
can be very helpful here), and then configure the network yourself.
The relevant files (as others have mentioned) are:

    /etc/network/interfaces (sets up the address and routing info)
    /etc/resolv.conf (domain name and DNS servers)
    /etc/hosts (should have your hostname and IP in it)
    /etc/hosts.deny (should contain ALL: ALL)
    /etc/hosts.allow (only allow services & IP addresses that
                                 are necessary -- like sshd)

After tweaking these files, do

    # /etc/init.d/networking restart

and you're good to go.

This assumes you've got static IP. If you're doing DHCP or something
like it, my advice may not apply.

FYI, the new version of Debian (woody) is set to be released any
week now. It should have a 2.4 kernel and a variety of much newer
packages. If you're not up for hacking around to get your system to
work, you may want to wait a couple weeks or see if you can get your
hands on a beta woody installer.

Chris

--
Christopher S. Swingley           phone: 907-474-2689
Computer Systems Manager          email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu