Re: Byte.com collates upcoming Linux changes

Subject: Re: Byte.com collates upcoming Linux changes
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 17:44:28 AKST

This is all great, except SuSE dumping yast1.. I ssh into my server
(SuSE 7.3) and use the text-based yast for stuff such as installing
packages from the CD and setting up network stuff. Now I have to
install X and all the related mumbo-jumbo just to run my server (or,
would have to, if I planned to upgrade that particular machine)

It's not like yast takes up much space, and it's great for folks like me
who ssh into some boxen and don't necessarially want to mess with
installing X, and use X tunneling, but enjoy the ease of use of yast.
It's a shame to see distros jettison the older text based tools just
because the newer gui-based ones are nice and pretty, and more user
friendly (which is not necessarily so in yast's case, imho)

But I'm planning to still upgrade my laptop to 8.0 when the time comes.. ;)

And it doesn't say Gentoo and Debian literally surpass the commercial
distrobutions, in the sense of more users or what-have-you, just that
they are better in the opinion of the author.. and we all know what the
end result of arguing about which distrobution is better is, don't we? :)

Justin

P.S. - To those who care, please note that my e-mail address I use on
this list has changed from enderak@yahoo.com to enderak@gci.net..