Re: Kicker problem with KDE/Mandrake 8.2...

Subject: Re: Kicker problem with KDE/Mandrake 8.2...
From: James Gibson (twistedhammer@subdimension.com)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 09:34:52 AKST

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Joshua J.Kugler wrote:

> Hello all -
>
> I just installed Mdk 8.2 on my new box (Shuttle SV24, VIA C3 933, 512MB RAM,
> 40GB HD) and most things are working right. Well, I was playing around with
> Kicker, and something happened that caused it to crash. Now whenever I start
> KDE, kicker does not come up. If I hit Alt-F2 (run program), open an xterm,
> and type kicker, I get this:
>
> [joshua@fsjjk3 joshua]$ kicker
> kicker: crashHandler called
> ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
> [joshua@fsjjk3 joshua]$ ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
>
> This is right after a fresh system start up. Does anyone have any ideas?
> I've tried deleting kicker config files, deleting the KDE socket symlinks,
> but to no avail. Sometimes typing kicker in an xterm worked (but not any
> more), which makes it even more frustrating.
>
> Like I said, everything works fine. Konqueror runs fine, and KDE control
> center doesn't have any problems. Even the configuration for the Panel works
> fine.
>
> Help?
>
> j----- k-----

well, my practical advice is to try reinstalling the rpm.

however my second attack is to run strace on it and see what it's doing;
you are welcome to do this if you feel adventurous, but without a little
knowledge of system calls and a little experience with strace you're not
too likely to figure out much. You might need to install it. check out
'man strace' first and then run 'strace kicker 2>&1 | tee kicker.log'
you'll see it spew a bunch of stuff down the screen, which will all be
copied into the file kicker.log for your analysis.

If you've re-installed the rpm, it still isn't working and you can't get
a grip on the strace log, gzip it and send it to my e-mail. I'll take a
look-see for you.

James Gibson