Kicker problem with KDE/Mandrake 8.2...

Subject: Kicker problem with KDE/Mandrake 8.2...
From: Joshua J.Kugler (isd@as.uaf.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 11:20:19 AKST

Hello all -

I just installed Mdk 8.2 on my new box (Shuttle SV24, VIA C3 933, 512MB RAM,
40GB HD) and most things are working right. Well, I was playing around with
Kicker, and something happened that caused it to crash. Now whenever I start
KDE, kicker does not come up. If I hit Alt-F2 (run program), open an xterm,
and type kicker, I get this:

[joshua@fsjjk3 joshua]$ kicker
kicker: crashHandler called
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
[joshua@fsjjk3 joshua]$ ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!

This is right after a fresh system start up. Does anyone have any ideas?
I've tried deleting kicker config files, deleting the KDE socket symlinks,
but to no avail. Sometimes typing kicker in an xterm worked (but not any
more), which makes it even more frustrating.

Like I said, everything works fine. Konqueror runs fine, and KDE control
center doesn't have any problems. Even the configuration for the Panel works
fine.

Help?

--
Joshua Kugler, Information Services Director
Associated Students of the University of Alaska Fairbanks