Gentoo (was Re: debian question)

Subject: Gentoo (was Re: debian question)
From: James Gibson (twistedhammer@subdimension.com)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 11:31:57 AKST

'slackian'.. Yup. Sounds about right. I've been using Gentoo for ~4-6
months now and it rocks. Everything is compiled from source using a
package management tool tied to a ports tree, so its all automated. The
'database' for the package manager is a series of directories and plain
text files under /var/db/pkg; the directories mirror their counterparts in
the /usr/portage ports tree.

The only real thing that you could complain about (I'm not. I like it this
way) is that, like slack, it assumes that you will configure everything by
hand. This can confuse the heck out of new users, but is pure bliss to
command-line junkies like myself..

I have a couple of specific things in response to Greg Madden. =)
One line:

'emerge rsync && emerge --world update'

... does the same thing as yours. =) (i.e. get new package list and
install updated packages.)
also check out this:

http://www.gentoo.org/index-contract.html

It's Gentoo's social contract, modified from Debian's. I haven't actually
read Debian's so I don't know _how_ modified it is, but there you go.

James Gibson