Re: compiled-in driver options

Subject: Re: compiled-in driver options
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 14:35:11 AKST

> I really should know this, but I've never had occasion to use it.
> How do I specify the irq and io options to a NIC driver that I'm
> compiling into the kernel? I've only ever used modules. I just
> tried configuring the kernel, but it didn't ask me about options.

You need to put them in your append line in the LILO configuration (or, if
LILO is prompting you, you can input it during your boot selection). If I
recall correctly, it's something like "ether=?,?,?,?" with the first three
being IO, IRQ, and device (but possibly not in that order), along with what
ever NIC-specific options you have.

I used to have to do this for those drivers that quit searching for NICs
after it found the first one. It's been a long while since I've done this,
though, so make sure you look up the specifics in the HOWTOs. The NET-3 one
might have the information you're looking for.

--

--Arthur Corliss Bolverk's Lair -- http://arthur.corlissfamily.org/ Digital Mages -- http://www.digitalmages.com/ "Live Free or Die, the Only Way to Live" -- NH State Motto