Re: compiled-in driver options

Subject: Re: compiled-in driver options
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 01:14:17 AKST

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 bryan@ak.net wrote:

> I really should know this, but I've never had occasion to use it.
> How do I specify the irq and io options to a NIC driver that I'm
> compiling into the kernel? I've only ever used modules. I just
> tried configuring the kernel, but it didn't ask me about options.

Do a make menuconfig, the kernel boot options are under "general setup."
The exact string will of course vary with the module you are compiling in.

Or, just do a config. You're looking for CONFIG_CMDLINE.

There is a boot prompt howto at www.linuxdoc.org that gives specifics of
the hows and whys.

It would look something like this:

CONFIG_CMDLINE="ether=10,0x300,0xe4000,,eth0"

(sets a WD80x3 compatible card (eth0) to IRQ 10, IO Address 0x300, and a
shared memory address of 0xe4000 - not all 80x3 cards use shared memory.)

Hope this helps,

James