Arthur I have porting question sir!

Subject: Arthur I have porting question sir!
From: Charles Smith (smithcm@alaska.net)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 16:58:45 AKST

Hi,
    I have to agree with Larry and Arthur. I too work supporting a medical
software package with a net result of supporting other packages that the
clinics use. You don't have a clue as to what all goes into writing a
package. If the doctor or clinic had the package written custom just for
them they will loose money and not just from what they will pay to have it
written, but the the other costs involved in a project like that.
    The clinic/doctor will pay enough money that in the end they will want
to market it to other places to recoup their money and then incurr even more
expense supporting the package (e.g. making it work else where)
    The are plenty of stories in the local community of lost money or people
screwing themselves. Either do it for a living or leave to those who do.
Charlie