Re: Arthur I have porting question sir!

Subject: Re: Arthur I have porting question sir!
From: Lee (lee@afabco.com)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 15:30:41 AKST

I had occasion to look at similar things several months ago. There are a
couple of 'good starts' in medical/dental office stuff for linux out there,
mostly GPL'ed. Go to freshmeat.net and do a search on 'medical', then do
another search on 'dental' respectively. One that sticks in my mind was
LinDent, or Dentalinux or somthing like that.

The two things I remember they all didn't have yet was integrated digitized
X-ray capture filing and viewing, and HIPAA provisions.

IMNSHO, it generally more productive to build on top of what is already
there, rather than reinvent from scratch (well, most of the time anyway);
that's kinda what GPL is all about, but it may be difficult to convince
people to shell out $$$ to 'give away' something; I have yet to be
successful getting money people to see that it's contributing to a better
product that others will improve and we can then get their improvements
back....uh oh, I'm climbing on a soapbox again......

Anyway, good luck.