RE: DHCP and multiple subnets

Subject: RE: DHCP and multiple subnets
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 21:38:15 AKST

> Could I just use one interface? How would the dhcp server know which
> address to give out? Does it find the info it needs in the packet
> somewhere?

Yes, you can use just one interface, but that goes back to what I was saying
about using DHCP relays. The relay client will forward the request to the
DHCP server, and the address is assigned from the pool the original request
came in on (on the relay's interface). So, if you're not physically on the
same subnet, you'll need to have your router (if it supports relay) or
another host act as the relay and forward to your primary DHCP server.

:-) Pretty painless. . .

--

--Arthur Corliss Bolverk's Lair -- http://arthur.corlissfamily.org/ Digital Mages -- http://www.digitalmages.com/ "Live Free or Die, the Only Way to Live" -- NH State Motto