Printing Headache

Subject: Printing Headache
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 16:33:02 AKST

This has been a mild irritation for some time, but I just got told to deal
with it despite it being my day off. Fun... ;-)

We have a number of print queues on our RH 6.x server (BSD lpd, not LPRng
or CUPS), and every once in awhile we run into a problem where lpd just
doesn't seem to want to pass along print jobs to the printer. Here's what
I do when I do an lpq on the problem queue:

asimov:/var/log/printer# lpq -Pcirc

asimov.lib.uaa.alaska.edu: Warning: no daemon present
Rank Owner Job Files Total Size
1st root 268 /etc/printcap 2085 bytes

JetDirect lpd: no jobs queued on this port

The printer in question is an HP laserjet 4, and had been working
flawlessly for the past two weeks.

If I try to print to that queue, I get a "connection refused" message.

I've had the user power off and power back on the printer, I've done
"killall lpd ; /usr/sbin/lpd -l", I've done "lpc up circ", and still
nothing comes out.

Does anyone who has experience with BSD lpd have any ideas? (please no
"just switch to <insert printing package here>")

Thanks,
Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax