Re: sendmail problem

Subject: Re: sendmail problem
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 15:37:19 AKST

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Justin Dieters wrote:

> More confusion:
>
> I can go into pine on my workstation, and if no smtp server is set, I
> can send mail. The address it says I sent from when i get the message
> on the recieving end is 'enderak@linux.local'. setting a smtp server
> (either mail.enderakonline.com or 24.237.3.124) gives me the same error
> that netscape gives me. How in the world does my message get sent
> without a smtp server? I am not running sendmail or anything like that
> on my workstation...

You actually are running sendmail on the workstation--it's just not
running in daemon mode. Pine is calling sendmail directly, as I mentioned
in my earlier message, something like this:

cat message.txt | /usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t

Please go to the url I listed in my earlier message. As I wrote in that
message, the problem you're having is documented there along with the fix.

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax