Re: sendmail problem

Subject: Re: sendmail problem
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 08:47:38 AKST

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Justin Dieters wrote:

> Been playing around a bit - I can send messages just fine with pine if I
> ssh into my server. But still no luck with sending from my workstation..

This actually sheds quite a bit of light on the problem. Try setting pine
to use your 24.237.x.x IP address as the smtp server. My guess is that
you'll get the relaying denied error. By default, pine calls sendmail
directly to send the mail vs. connecting to port 25 on any of the existing
interfaces.

The problem is described in more detail here:

http://www.seifried.org/security/os/linux/redhat/20011031-rh72-sendmail.html

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax