Re: The Real Issue (not Re: Friday Nites @ APU)

Subject: Re: The Real Issue (not Re: Friday Nites @ APU)
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 00:00:08 AKST

Greetins Dee and everybody!

Actually, there are two issues. There are a bunch who are advanced
*nix users who are interested in the more advanced operations,
applications, system administration, user support, etc. There is
another bunch who run the gamut from John Newcombe to flatulant old
men like me who are still in the wonder stage of getting a system up
and running.

The first bunch meets monthly, has a somewhat formal program, and
constitutes the core of the "real" AKLUG "association". This bunch
seems to have the depth of learning, training, and experience that
the second bunch may or may not attain eventually. This bunch fixes
things.

The second bunch has been meeting on Friday nights more or less
regularly helped along by a few cross-over members from the first
bunch. This bunch patches together various pieces of hardware to
build up the "classic" Linux system from cast off computers and the
odd store-bought NIC, video card, or hard disk. This bunch breaks
things (all in the name of exploring the edges of the permissible
and possible operating envelopes of hardware and software).

The two bunches are mutually supportive. The real issue is how to
accomodate both bunches in one organization or how to orchestrate
the activities of the two bunches so that organizational differences
and affiliations enhance the mutual support. The desired result of
either approach is better public awarness of the alternatives to the
MicroSoft way of life.

I note from visiting the Austin Linux Group (ALG) they recognize two
bunches also. More articulate than I, they refer to the ALG as "a
loose confederation of computer savvy professionals and hobbyists
who are learning and using Linux". My observation is the first bunch
(my definition above) are the professionals and the second bunch are
the hobbyists. Both bunches are computer savvy. At the moment we are
an unorganized loose confederation. Dee would like to see us get
organized.

I would be delighted to see an organization that could accomodate
student chapters at the universities, and perhaps at the high school
level or even lower foreby. Those interested in organizing might
just get together and organize. I suggest looking at the articles of
incorporation of the ALG http://www.austinlug.org/charter.html to
get an idea of their focus.

Thanks for the reminder Dee. fgd