Re: game framerates

Subject: Re: game framerates
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 17:12:00 AKST

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 bryan@ak.net wrote:

> Clay Scott wrote in <3C7C085C.D747D5F7@pobox.alaska.net>:
> >
> > sort of off-topic, but before setting up the nvidia server q3a ran at
> > 4fps. now it runs at about 150fps. it's pretty nice. if anyone spots a
> > copy of UT in a bargain bin somewhere, let me know...
>
> This is something I've been curious about -- does it really matter
> if a game can produce 150 frames per second? Can your monitor even
> display 150 fps? Certainly not if it has less than 150 Hz vertical
> refresh rate. Can your eyes even *see* 150 fps? I very much doubt
> it.
>
> 30 fps is the same framerate as American television. Is that not
> enough for gaming?

I think this stuff is highly dependant on the individual. I can see a
definite difference between 30 and 40 fps, for example. Also, my boss
doesn't see any difference between a 60Hz refresh rate vs. 75 or 80Hz, and
runs his monitor at 60Hz; for me, 60Hz has way too much flicker and will
even give me a headache after awhile, so I've always run mine at the
highest possible refresh rate, usually 80Hz.

I do agree that once you pass a certain fps threshold, nobody is going to
notice any difference; I think that threshold is going to be different
for pretty much everybody though.

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax