Re: Aklug Project.

Subject: Re: Aklug Project.
kracker@gci.net
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 02:58:09 AKST

hi mike!

do you want dedicated new gear, or
would an existing setup work.

i'm just a punk with some gear that happens to do
some stuff running linux on some old computers.

see right now i'm working on porting up my existing firewall rules
(basically nat my gci static ip from linksys cable/dsl router/gateway)

to a dual nic pentium 75mhz with 64mb of ram & 1.4gb hard drive.
i am in the process of recompiling the kernel (2.4+) to get the awesome 4
port nic card that is also installed to recognize.
i have installed (grits teeth) 7.2 but not updated & secured it yet, or
finished testing of the rules

i am using http://kracker.org:8082 style web sites through (funds issue for
extra static ips)
i use ez systems's gpl web application called ezpublish
(http://developer.ez.no/), it has a great forums tool along
with a content management system (with group permissions for
collaboration). it uses mysql, thus i have a mysql
db used by the internal apache servers. i like to code, so i'd volunteer my
time

things are a bit nutty cause i haven't dealt fully with gci on specific dns
problems i have been having.
i can assign www, aklug.kracker.org, comtracker.aklug.kracker.org,
development.kracker.org
cnames or entries to my single static ip, still uses ports untill i get
another static ip or so to stick in my dns setup (and new router, eventually)

i already have a phpadmin webserver setup & working. ( i would just have to
"port" it to the outsite world under some authentication).

i have a platinum gci cable modem connection connected to a linksys cable /
dsl router,
connected to a switch, connecting my development servers to the net.
i have a dns server with ssh access. my dns is setup for my domain but it
seems like
gci's dns resolves my domain and i have tested through a proxy and it looks
like i'm live to the net.
i do have problems with my dns registrar, they recognize gci and the domain
works on the net (some how)
but my dns server's name is rejected as an in-valid dns server (through
their web admin cgi app)
needless to say still working on some of my domain, but i truck along.

i thought if no one volunteered yet, it sure didn't sound like you needed much.
wait what are you coding again? "simple database to track inventory of
computers"
what details does the inventory of a computer entail?

//graham
wait, did i post too late.