Re: Problems with Red Hat v6.2

Subject: Re: Problems with Red Hat v6.2
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 15:26:26 AKST

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Mark Weisman wrote:

> Anyone else having trouble with hard drive failures under Red Hat v6.2?
> I've now had three hard drives go bonkers on me. Run for about six
> months, then abruptly die (not able to read init files anymore). The box
> is an AMD 550 with 128MB of RAM, and I've lost two Western Digitals, and
> now a Quantum drive. Runs fine for months, then all of a sudden with no
> errors or nothing, you can no longer read the drives. Same thing
> happened to me on a Pentium 100 with 65MB of RAM, don't know about that
> one, but the only thing in common is the Red Hat v6.2. Any suggestions
> would be greatly appreciated before I rebuild tomorrow (2/19/02).
> Thanks.

I've got several RH 6.2 boxes working fine. You might be getting bit by a
bug in the 2.2.14 kernel, assuming that's what you're running (I can't
remember off the top of my head which version 6.2 comes with). However,
in these cases the kernel just writes garbage to the disk. Are you sure
the hard drives are actually dead, or could it be that their filesystems
and/or partition tables have been trashed?

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax