Re: smoothwall

Subject: Re: smoothwall
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 16:19:29 AKST

On Thu, 2002-02-21 at 13:36, Chris Hamilton wrote:

> Just curious if anyone out there is using smoothwall as part of their
> regular work environment.
>
> I use them to connect to the office from home. I find that 1 box seems to
> lose its network config from time to time whereas the other one has stayed
> up without a hitch. Both boxes are identical with the exception that 1 is on
> a dsl network (the one that stays up) and 1 is on the cable modem network
> (the one that goes down). Also one is using version 0.9.9se whereas the one
> that stays up is just the 0.9.9 without any patches. Both are gpl versions,
> considered buying the corporate version but was verbally assaulted by the
> founder after asking a support question, so I decided not too.
>
> I was just interested in hearing the thoughts of others using this software.
>
> Chris.

I use smoothwall on a 486 here with a cable modem. I have four boxes
hooked to a switch on the green interface. I have patched it to patch #
7. It has been up for a few months with no problems. It seems to me
that the patche have been significant, new kernel on one (2.2.20), but
that doesn't seem to be an issue with your setup. Friday night at APU,
we usually have a smoothwall box available.

I emailed a contact for smoothwall to find out how to send money. I
don't do IRC or Paypal and the link to mail checks from the US has been
dead for months. I never heard back from them. Personalities,
unfortunatly they can detract from a good product.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.