Re: SuSE and dsl

Subject: Re: SuSE and dsl
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 13:29:10 AKST

> Actually, you can run your LAN and PPPoE on the same NIC. It sounds weird,
> but it works. I tried it on the little thinknic computer that only has one
> NIC. A packet comes into the NIC from the dsl modem via pppoe (layer 2),
the
> 8 pppoe bytes get pulled off, it gets natted, and put back on the LAN from
> the same NIC. Pretty cool.

How is that wired? You have to send the output of the NIC straight to the
modem, right? If so, how do you shunt traffic to a hub/switch, then?

--

--Arthur Corliss Bolverk's Lair -- http://arthur.corlissfamily.org/ Digital Mages -- http://www.digitalmages.com/ "Live Free or Die, the Only Way to Live" -- NH State Motto