Re: Linux network design

Subject: Re: Linux network design
From: James Bagley Jr. (james@thelostnet.net)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 20:56:52 AKST

If it's a small office it might be easier to setup one system with all the
office software you will need then configure the rest of the workstations
as dumb X terminals. No messy network filesystems, domain authentication
models, or individual workstation configurations to work out. You can
even boot your X terminals diskless with etherboot/netboot. This is
reasonably scalable, but breaks if you need cpu-intensive or
graphics-intensive engineering applications. IMHO this would be the most
painless way to run a small to mid-sized office.

I suppose you could run larger networks like this as well, but you would
need multiple servers with some type of load balancing and that starts
geting complicated.

I've played with this kind of setup but haven't used it in a production
environment yet. Are there any pitfalls to this type of design that i'm
missing?

--
... Any resemblance between the above views and those of my employer,
my terminal, or the view out my window are purely coincidental.  Any