Re: Linux network design

Subject: Re: Linux network design
From: Matt Heavner (heavner@direcway.com)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 15:08:00 AKST

There is also nis/yp (network information services/yellow pages) which
shares /etc/passwd type info--so you have consistent passwords on all
machines, consistent user and group IDs (which is pretty important for
keeping nfs from being a horrendous mess).

quotas also get important on shared drives, and having separate drives
for spools, /home amd some tmp space is a good idea. (This keeps
things like an infinite .forward loop getting out of control and
taking out /home along with killing mail.)

similarly logs can get to be a mess, so a generalized networked
logging is pretty crucial.

also having much of /etc centralized (such as /etc/printcap) through
daily refresh scripts is a good idea.

At work we have ~220 *NIX machines (~180 of them are Linux) that are
setup somewhat as described above.

At 14:42:38 on day 7 of February 2002, Mike Barsalou spread the news:

--
| Matt Heavner           |   That wine from Lubbock      |