Re: Watercooling?

Subject: Re: Watercooling?
From: Scott Johnson (sjohnson@gci.net)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 23:57:46 AKST

Basically it was due to bad pumps. I had a dual pump setup going (figuring
that even if one failed I still had one pushing the water) but alas, they
just gave out. Unfortunatly, instead of getting one high-quality pump, I
got two medium/low quality pumps. Since there was no water circulating
through the system, the water that was sitting over the CPU (in the water
block) just kept getting hotter and hotter and finally just started melting
stuff. First the plastic tubing, then the CPU itself. It even messed up
the ZIF socket so the MB went too. I was partially able to salvage the vid
card (which took the brunt of the water damage) but it still gets flaky when
running 3d-intensive applications. So first off if you're considering doing
this, GET A GOOD PUMP. When I first did my setup, I went to Lowe's to see
their selections. Most of the pumps they have though are for sump pumps or
wells; not meant to be left going 24x7. I would look into a high-quality
aquarium pump. Alaska Aquarium comes to mind. When I checked with them
(after mine went belly up), they said they had a pump that could push water
up 20' vertically. I would imagine if you're going from your crawl space to
first floor, you'd need something like this. I really didn't have a problem
with loss of water as it was a closed-loop system. If you're not going to
have fans on your radiator, just make sure you get a radiator with a lot of
surface area. Putting it down in the crawl space will defiantly help too.
When I was doing my initial testing, I set my radiator outside my bedroom
window. This was in the middle of December (2000). I was able to get my
water temperature down to a chilling 34 degrees F, which got my CPU down
to -20F. I was able to get my Tbird 900 up to 1.2Ghz and still keep the
temperature around -5F. You really don't wanna do that though in a
long-term basis as after about 2 hours you start getting condensation on the
CPU & ZIF. Also, if you can swing it, I'd try to use nothing but distilled
water instead of tap. That way if you were to develop a leak, there's less
of a chance of shorting something out.

Anyway, any other questions just ask.

Scott