Re: help with hard ware

Subject: Re: help with hard ware
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 23:44:48 AKST

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Jeremy Hodder wrote:

> I have a amd 586 that I'm having trouble with. I can get redhat 5.1 to
> install. on reboot I get kernel panic or it locks up after 'hlt'.
> I'm thinking it the hardware does any one know how I can test this
> system. By the way I can get win98 to run on it.

Well if you can get Win98 to run reliably on it, then I would say that's
generally a pretty good way of testing the hardware, assuming you did more
than just boot it up and shut it down.

The only RH 5.x system I have is an Alpha, so I'm not sure about the 'hlt'
thing. My more recent x86 systems w/ 2.2.19 kernels mention the following
in the boot messages:

 [...]
 Checking 386/387 coupling... OK, FPU using exception 16 error reporting.
 Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
 POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
 [...]

RH 5.1 is pretty old. You might want to try current releases and see if
you get the same problems. If you can't do an ftp installation, I'm sure
someone here would be more than happy to burn you a copy of RH 7.2, or
even another distro.

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax