Re: how to make a machine into a headless box

Subject: Re: how to make a machine into a headless box
From: James Zuelow (jamesz@ideafamilies.org)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 10:14:31 AKST

----- Original Message -----
From: "civileme" <civileme@mandrakesoft.com>
> Some BIOSes, notably IBM, provide a boot without keyboard... As a matter
of
> fact I have a PC 350 P166 serving as a firewall to a cable modem, running
> mouseless, keyboardless, and headless.

I have to laugh thinking about my IBM boxen. I have a PC Server 325 and two
PC 365s. When I set the BIOS to run _without_ a keyboard and boot the
machine without a mouse, I get a no pointing device error (8306?). When I
set the BIOS to run _with_ a keyboard, I do not need the mouse. So even if
your BIOS can be set to run headless, YMMV. All have been updated to the
latest BIOS versions available from IBM as soon as I got them. Perhaps that
was my mistake...

Cheers,

James