Re: how to make a machine into a headless box

Subject: Re: how to make a machine into a headless box
From: civileme (civileme@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 19:30:07 AKST

On Tuesday 15 January 2002 03:45 pm, Greg Jetter wrote:
> I have a linux server I want to make into a headless box , that is no
> monitor/keyboard , is there a howto somewhere ? can any point me into the
> right direction .
>
> I tried booting without the keyboard and get an error , the machine just
> stops and request that I press f1 to continue , kind of hard to do without
> a keyboard.
>
> Could I safely remove the keyboard and monitor once it was booted ?
>

> Greg

Some BIOSes, notably IBM, provide a boot without keyboard... As a matter of
fact I have a PC 350 P166 serving as a firewall to a cable modem, running
mouseless, keyboardless, and headless. The video in that case is simply
disabled because it is integrated onto the mainboard. Access from local
network allows web configuration (normal configuration from the console is
overwritten by the web config files, so might as well run headless).

But it depends on BIOS, design and Software runnning whether you can go
headless.

Civileme