Re: HD in critical condition

Subject: Re: HD in critical condition
From: Richard Mckinney (mckinney@gci.net)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 09:34:12 AKST

It is often the bearings locked up that prevents them from spinning up.
A sharp wrap on the center of the case where the spindle center make
shake it loose. If you can get no response what so ever then throw it
in the freezer for a few hours. The shrinking of the mechanism
sometimes will break it loose enough to spin up and extract data from.
A good backup comes in quite handy at these times.

Rich