Re: Palm <> Linux

Subject: Re: Palm <> Linux
From: William Bouterse (bill@bouterse.com)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 11:29:37 AKST

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 08:35:28 -0900 (AKST)
Tom <thogland@alaskatech.org> wrote these words:

> On 30 Dec 2001, Mac Mason wrote:
> > Caveat: I haven't actually tried this at all, but it looked promising.
> >
> > In the kernel configuration, under USB support, is a section for "USB
> > Serial Converter" and there are options for palms and handsprings and so
> > on. I get the impression that the way this is done is just to pretend
> > it's a serial device, much as ide-scsi pretends that your cd-rom is a
> > scsi device.
> > (But I haven't tried it)
>
> That's part of it. I set my Handspring up to sync via USB and it seems to
> work fine, as long as you press the sync button right before clicking the
> "sync" button on-screen. I tried with jpilot and, uh, something else
> (which completely escapes me). There's a Pilot-Howto or Visor-Howto in the
> doc pile...
>
> You need the kernel with serial support and specific device support, plus
> the right USB hub (OHCI or one of two UHCI). HowTo explains how to tell
> the difference...

Handspring Visor Deluxe and USB works fine for here with
Linux Mandrake 8.2 cooker 20011224
kernel 2.4.26-11mdk

The little "trick" with the synching or something very similar
was necessary for me as well.

Try ;
tail -f /var/log/messages
And you will see if the "Right" things are happening !?

William Bouterse
Talkeetna, Ak