HD in critical condition

Subject: HD in critical condition
From: Charles Smith (smithcm@alaska.net)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 08:11:34 AKST

If the drive isn't spinning, like Josh said, go ahead and hit it with a
stick. You can't do too much damage to a drive that doesn't work.
I have seen many servers that run for extended periods of time, E.G. years,
fail to boot after shutdown. I have seen them promptly boot again after a
drive across town to the shop. If the drive were spinning I would say let
the machine run overnight and then attempt a few reboots, a few failed
drives have rebooted after the drive temp is back up to a normal operating
temp.

Charles