Re: OT: hard drive diags

Subject: Re: OT: hard drive diags
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2001 - 11:18:50 AKST

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, Bryan Medsker wrote:

> With a new fan in place, I tried to boot my Alpha. It went fine
> initially, but my hard drive is no longer recognised. I hadn't
> touched it, except to wipe off the surface. Cables are checked,
> it's getting power, and the floppy and cdrom are recognised.

Are you using SRM or Alphabios/ARC? If SRM, does it not show up with a
"show dev"?

> I'm not sure if the drive is spinning up, but I don't think so.
> The one thing I can see is a flashing green LED on the drive's
> logic board. Anyone know what that means?

Sometimes that's a "heartbeat" LED. You might pull the SCSI cable and
check the pins on both the drive and controller--I've bent one or two pins
by accident before. The connectors look and feel perfectly seated, but
the bent pins aren't making any connection.

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax