mcast.net

Subject: mcast.net
From: Buddha (buddha@gci.net)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2001 - 12:17:08 AKST

Interesting...the mcast.net domain is owned by IANA

http://www.netsol.com/cgi-bin/whois/whois?STRING=mcast.net&SearchType=all&ST
RING2.x=30&STRING2.y=3

A check of the well known port listing at IANA shows port 42 to be used by
nameserver and the contact is postel@isi.edu. He's also listed as the
contact for a bunch of other ports too. Well, Mr. Postel died in 1998 so I
guess I can't email him and ask him the "why, what, where" of port 42.

http://www.isi.edu/div7/people/postel.home/

A search of Google revealed this document which states "Some multicast
addresses serve special purposes/services e.g.: 224.0.0.1
(or)ALL-SYSTEMS.MCAST.NET, is a group that includes all systems supporting
multicasting on the local subnet.

http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~murat/TOOLS98.tutorial.pdf

The mystery continues....

-Jim "Buddha" McMorris