Re: OT: hard drive diags

Subject: Re: OT: hard drive diags
From: Bryan Medsker (bryan@ak.net)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2001 - 22:41:54 AKST

Mike Tibor <tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu> wrote:

> Are you using SRM or Alphabios/ARC? If SRM, does it not show up with
> a "show dev"?

I'm using Alphabios and MILO. MILO will load from the floppy,
but then can't find a boot device.

> > The one thing I can see is a flashing green LED on the drive's
> > logic board. Anyone know what that means?
>
> Sometimes that's a "heartbeat" LED. You might pull the SCSI cable
> and check the pins on both the drive and controller--I've bent one
> or two pins by accident before. The connectors look and feel
> perfectly seated, but the bent pins aren't making any connection.

I didn't touch any HD connectors between the times when it worked
and when it didn't, but I checked anyway, and they're fine.
It's not the controller; I switched the cdrom and HD connectors
(both IDE, btw), and Alphabios still recognised the cdrom and not
the HD.

I guess the next step is to take out the nine screws that will let
me see the bottom of the HD.

--
Bryan Medsker
bryan@ak.net