Re: OT: HTML help

Subject: Re: OT: HTML help
augustus@acerbic.org
Date: Sat Dec 29 2001 - 17:35:44 AKST

On Sat, 29 Dec 2001, Scott Johnson wrote:

> Does anyone know of a HTML composer (pref a WYSIWYG) that produces
> verifiable HTML 4.01 Transitional (http://validator.w3.org/) code?

I don't even know of any websites that pass through the validator without
a stream of errors and/or gripes. Just for fun I ran a few through it (all
failed)
www.aklug.org
theregister.co.uk
slashdot.org
acerbic.org (me)
www.microsoft.com
www.linux.org

I'm a little curious as to why you would want to subject yourself to the
kind of pain and suffering required to get your site up to spec,
especially if it's a large and complex one.

If you were starting a site from scratch, and wanted "valid" HTML I think
your only options is to use $FAVORITE_TEXT_EDITOR and do it all by hand
following your chosen HTML spec and validating it as you go. As far as i
know no WYSIWYG editors output anything approaching proper HTML, but it
has been a while since I've tried any of them.

-Josh