httpd access_logs-security et al

Subject: httpd access_logs-security et al
From: William Bouterse (bill@bouterse.com)
Date: Sat Dec 29 2001 - 16:40:01 AKST

After the overwhelming inundation of Nimidia and others and continued
bloat of my home server access_logs and the recent malicious cracking into a member of this lists server, I was wondering....?

Where is one of those nice little scripts I remember seeing
to bounce back the access attempts returning them to the attention
of the administrator of the infected server? Or other suggestions
for a realatively non-sophisticated linux user.

I have misplaced the email concerning the cracked server and was wondering
what the outcome of it all was and whether or not the members of this group have a notification process setup whereas any comfirmed exploit is immediately announced Perhaps "SECURITY ALERT"!!!
...Sometimes the list grows long with various discussions and I for one have a tendency to skim and sometimes forget which is why I am writing this....It would be nice to know the details of
security issues as it can affect us all both home user and business...

I still have not perfected the balance between
too much and too little security

William Bouterse
Talkeetna, Ak.