RE: Profanity on the List

Subject: RE: Profanity on the List
arthur@corlissfamily.org
Date: Fri Dec 28 2001 - 16:00:26 AKST

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Leif Sawyer wrote:

> Dave Loutrel writes:
> > In an effort to insure my continued enjoyment of this list, I
> > would greatly appreciate the Censor posting a list of words
> > deemed to be profanity on a FAQ page, so that I don't run
> > afoul of some unknown sensitivities.
> >

> <rant>
> Heck, i'd take that stuff as sarcasm, because I'm sure you're smart
> enough to know whats appropriate in a public list where the ages range
> from late-60s (and older) to 14 (and younger.)
>
> But just in case I'm way off base in my evaluation of your troll-bait,
> pretty much anything that you wouldn't say while standing in front
> of an auditorium full of elementary students is off limits here.
>
> We shouldn't need to point out George Carlin's "7 dirty words" as the
> be-all-end-all of profane and obtuse.
>
> Heck, i'm an actor. Nothing is profane to me. But at least I can act
> civil and keep my language professional.
> </rant>
>
> Mike? Anything else you want to add to this for the sophomores out there?

<G> If this isn't a perfect example for why occasional slang isn't worth
complaining over, I don't know what is. Leif has managed to be as offensive
as possible without using one obscenity. The personal invective, while
grammatically benign, is more than obvious.

I'm certain that this thread is destined for the flame war archives, but does
anyone else feel that this is much ado about nothing? And I thought the P.C.
wars were no longer in vogue. . .

It's all fun and games until someone gets their feelings hurt. <shudder> ;-)

        --Arthur Corliss