Re: OT: case fans

Subject: Re: OT: case fans
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Fri Dec 28 2001 - 09:07:56 AKST

The Alaskan Bear wrote:

> Actually, yes, there is a way for a fan to get out of whack. Actually,
> more appropriately, the bearings in the fan get worn out. Hence the reason
> that they start sounding bad...You could try to apply a little grease to the
> bearings, but it's more work to do that, then to spend a few $ on buying a new
> one.
>
> As far as the power supply fan goes. That is just for the power supply for
> the most part. As it is contained right there. The reason for most other
> case fans is to take the heat away from the CPU, and other misc items that
> could be running hot. IE: Video Cards, some sound cards, and so on.
>
> As far as secondary fans. I have setup one of my cases so that there is a
> fan blowing into the case below my cpu, and then I have another fan blowing
> out of the case up near the top, due to the hot air rises fact. Well, I am
> just going on here...but, the Power Supply fan is basically just for the power
> supply to keep it cooled down and so it won't overheat and fry.
snip

A couple of additional comments on air movement. Air moves from high
pressure to low pressure . Think about the pressure relationships in you
case/powersupply/outside of the case. The CFM (cubic feet per minute) is
a common measurement of air flow, fans typically have a CFM rating. One
advantage to having a positive pressure in your case is that you control
the entry point and thus have the ability to condition the air, either
cooling, or filtering the dust.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.