Re: OT: case fans

Subject: Re: OT: case fans
From: The Alaskan Bear (akbear@akbearsden.com)
Date: Fri Dec 28 2001 - 02:50:54 AKST

Actually, yes, there is a way for a fan to get out of whack. Actually,
more appropriately, the bearings in the fan get worn out. Hence the reason
that they start sounding bad...You could try to apply a little grease to the
bearings, but it's more work to do that, then to spend a few $ on buying a new
one.

As far as the power supply fan goes. That is just for the power supply for
the most part. As it is contained right there. The reason for most other
case fans is to take the heat away from the CPU, and other misc items that
could be running hot. IE: Video Cards, some sound cards, and so on.

As far as secondary fans. I have setup one of my cases so that there is a
fan blowing into the case below my cpu, and then I have another fan blowing
out of the case up near the top, due to the hot air rises fact. Well, I am
just going on here...but, the Power Supply fan is basically just for the power
supply to keep it cooled down and so it won't overheat and fry.

--
Ted Montgomery
The Alaskan Bear's Den

-- There are some things lots of money can buy ... -- -- For everything else, there is LINUX ... --

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 02:34:30AM -0900, Bryan Medsker wrote: > > Do fans generally get out of whack after a while? I've got a > secondary case fan that's making a horrible, afwul buzzing sound. > It's done this before, off and on, but now it won't stop, even > though I've cleaned it the best I can. Is there anything I can > do other than replace it? > > Also, if the power supply fan is blowing out of the case, doesn't > it make sense for the secondary fan to be blowing into the case? > Or is there a situation where it makes sense for both to be blowing > out? > > Sorry for no Linux content. > Thanks for any replies. > > -- > Bryan Medsker > bryan@ak.net > > >