Re: Setting up mail server

Subject: Re: Setting up mail server
From: Tom (thogland@alaskatech.org)
Date: Tue Dec 25 2001 - 12:05:59 AKST

On Tue, 25 Dec 2001, The Alaskan Bear wrote:
> Well, actually. What I did was register through ehost, then they also have it
> setup to do the hosting. I haven't told GCI anything, They have a setup so I can
> do domain administration through them and use their DNS servers for free.
> and some of the hosts I have is:
>
> Hostname: Address: Record Type: MX Pref:
> www my ip addy A(Address) 10
> mail my ip addy MXE(Mail Easy) 10
> irc my ip addy A(Address) 10
> bobandmark my ip addy A(Address) 10
>
> and so on. so people that go to www.akbearsden.com or bobandmark.akbearsden.com
> and so on, go to my ip addy. It is a great setup I think, plus I can do subdomains
> for the different users. This way they wouldn't neccessarily have to go to say:
> http://www.akbearsden.com/~user
> they could go to
> http://user.akbearsden.com plus the same works for the mail
> mailto: name@user.akbearsden.com would still go to my domain.
> Ok, I will get off of my pedastal :} I just like them better than GCI mainly cause
> I don't have to pay a monthly fee like I would with GCI.

Okay - so you still have a static IP here and ehost routes stuff to it? Or
is this a dynamic DNS one, where it routes to whatever DHCP-assigned
address you have?

If you're buying the static IP from GCI, it makes sense to have their DNS
servers listed, if nothing else as a backup to ehost. (Considering you're
buying DNS along with their IP for your monthly fee...) If it's from ACS,
I'd imagine they have something similar. I know GCI has *.alaskatech.org
listed as mine, along with mail/www/etc, so any third-level stuff goes to
my server here.