Re: Setting up mail server

Subject: Re: Setting up mail server
From: The Alaskan Bear (akbear@akbearsden.com)
Date: Tue Dec 25 2001 - 11:53:37 AKST

Well, actually. What I did was register through ehost, then they also have it
setup to do the hosting. I haven't told GCI anything, They have a setup so I can
do domain administration through them and use their DNS servers for free.
and some of the hosts I have is:

Hostname: Address: Record Type: MX Pref:
www my ip addy A(Address) 10
mail my ip addy MXE(Mail Easy) 10
irc my ip addy A(Address) 10
bobandmark my ip addy A(Address) 10

and so on. so people that go to www.akbearsden.com or bobandmark.akbearsden.com
and so on, go to my ip addy. It is a great setup I think, plus I can do subdomains
for the different users. This way they wouldn't neccessarily have to go to say:
http://www.akbearsden.com/~user
they could go to
http://user.akbearsden.com plus the same works for the mail
mailto: name@user.akbearsden.com would still go to my domain.
Ok, I will get off of my pedastal :} I just like them better than GCI mainly cause
I don't have to pay a monthly fee like I would with GCI.

--
Ted Montgomery
The Alaskan Bear's Den

-- There are some things lots of money can buy ... -- -- For everything else, there is LINUX ... --

On Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 11:32:55AM -0900, Tom wrote: > > On Tue, 25 Dec 2001, The Alaskan Bear wrote: > > Well, In regards to everyone saying that you will have to go through GCI. > > If you have the domain hosted through GCI then yes, you will have to go > > through them...if you don't have it hosted through them, which I do not, then > > you won't have to deal with them at all. I personally am using ehost.com which > > is a great domain registrar and hosting service, and I only pay the 1 time fee, > > unlike GCI which charges you every month, Plus, I can make on the fly changes > > and not have to wait for anyone else to do the change for me. > > Actually, I think there's a misunderstanding here. His connection is > through GCI, but where the domain was registered is irrelevant, as long as > he has the right DNS and such set up. In this case, since he is using the > IP from GCI, they include DNS and such as part of that IP. > > In my case, everything is connected and such through GCI, but I used > Dotster to register the domain. I got the IP, asked for the DNS server > info and such, then did the registration at Dotster using their info and > told GCI what I did. No problems... > >