Re: Setting up mail server

Subject: Re: Setting up mail server
From: Tom (thogland@alaskatech.org)
Date: Tue Dec 25 2001 - 11:32:55 AKST

On Tue, 25 Dec 2001, The Alaskan Bear wrote:
> Well, In regards to everyone saying that you will have to go through GCI.
> If you have the domain hosted through GCI then yes, you will have to go
> through them...if you don't have it hosted through them, which I do not, then
> you won't have to deal with them at all. I personally am using ehost.com which
> is a great domain registrar and hosting service, and I only pay the 1 time fee,
> unlike GCI which charges you every month, Plus, I can make on the fly changes
> and not have to wait for anyone else to do the change for me.

Actually, I think there's a misunderstanding here. His connection is
through GCI, but where the domain was registered is irrelevant, as long as
he has the right DNS and such set up. In this case, since he is using the
IP from GCI, they include DNS and such as part of that IP.

In my case, everything is connected and such through GCI, but I used
Dotster to register the domain. I got the IP, asked for the DNS server
info and such, then did the registration at Dotster using their info and
told GCI what I did. No problems...