Re: running my own DNS

Subject: Re: running my own DNS
augustus@acerbic.org
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 07:59:17 AKST

Well you don't really need reverse DNS, it's neat and all but it's not
critical, every service you would want to run will work fine if the
forward and reverse DNS don't match. So to host your own DNS all you need
to do is get a static IP, install either BIND or djbdns
(http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html) on your server. Then configure DNS properly,
I suggest checking out the HOWTO on the LDP, for your domain. I suggest
setting up an internal DNS server first and play around with it for a
couple weeks before setting up a public server because you will screw
things up the first few times (if you use BIND) The HOWTO has excellent
instructions on doing this as well.

Once you're satisfied that you know what you are doing, simply make DNS
services public and then do whatever you need to do with your registar
(the person you registered your domain with) to list your server as the
primary name server for your domain.

To summarize: don't worry about reverse DNS, you don't need it. Read the
DNS HOWTO.

Oh and for the record it's not that GCI "won't let us" do reverse DNS,
there are several valid technical reasons that make it impossible(well
extremely impractical) for cablemodem users (even static IP holders) to be
given control over their own reverse DNS - which is explained in (guess
where) the HOWTO.

Mankind shall not be free until the last king is strangled in the entrails
of the last priest. -- Denis Diderot, Dithyrambe sur la fete de rois

Josh Burroughs
augustus@acerbic.org
http://www.acerbic.org