Re: KVM Switch

Subject: Re: KVM Switch
From: R. Andom (random@artificiallives.com)
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 20:24:08 AKST

Depending on how big your organization/need is my favorite KVM switches are
the Avocent (formally Apex) Outlook switches. Fully keyboard controlled,
nameable devices, rack mountable etc.. Rarely have I ever had a keyboard or
mouse dropout or incompatibilities with software/hardware (I do remember one
major problem with NT when they upgraded from service pack 3 to 4.. the
switch become incompatible so you ended up having to do a prom upgrade which
they shipped you for free).

Belkin is my next choice and is usually the more economical solution (hence
the more commonly deployed).

When only using one switch I don't have any complaints about the Belkin
switches. The only thing I can remember in particular is that on some
machines you need to make sure to be pointed to the machine when it reboots
otherwise you might lose the keyboard and/or mouse and might not know it
until the OS is booted. Other than that they are pretty reliable (I think
I've seen two fail in the last 4 years that I can remember.. not bad).

When connecting more than one of their switches together I have had some
issues. Mouse dropouts are the most common but it doesn't happen often
enough to be highly annoying and in some cases I end up having to hook up
additional mice to some machines because they are finicky when changing
computers with the belkin KVM switches connected together. Another thing I
have seen is when you change to the second switch you have to hit the scan
button to move between machines to get the mouse to start working on the new
switch on some models. This can be rather annoying if you are doing a lot of
switching and working in an environment where mice are needed (or at least
preferred).

Anyway, that's my 2 cents on switches..
-Alan